Turkish Airlines Security Measures against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
Measures implemented against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
Turkish Airlines implemented additional measures since the beginning of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in order to minimize both its effects and its spread. Our foremost priority is the safety and well-being of our passengers and, to that end, we are monitoring the latest developments regarding the coronavirus and working closely with national and international health and aviation authorities.
Safety of our crew
Turkish Airlines has taken all the necessary measures since the outbreak of the first COVID-19 cases to ensure the safety our passengers and the crew. In this regard:
- Staff have been informed in detail regarding necessary measures to be taken and actions to be performed against the pandemic.
- Flight crew who fly internationally undergo a medical examination, if needed.
- In accordance with the decisions taken by the Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health Science Committee, all staff serving on flights to countries where the virus is on the rise use personal protective equipment and hand disinfectants if needed.
- Aircraft undergo an extensive cleaning process upon completing their flight, in accordance with the guidelines of national and international civil aviation authorities.
- Before the entrance of standard cleaning staff, a special four-person hygiene team cleans the aircraft in detail with disinfectants.
- The surfaces the passengers come into contact with, such as tray tables, in-flight entertainment screens, seat belt buckles and overhead bins, are cleaned thoroughly with strong disinfectants using area-specific microfiber cloths.
- In the case of a potentially sick passenger on board, our aircraft undergo a disinfection process with chemicals approved by the World Health Organization and aircraft manufacturers.
- Following the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of masks, disposable gloves and disinfectants in our aircraft has been increased.
- In compliance with the related procedures, our crews observe passengers while welcoming them on-board and throughout the flight. Passengers showing symptoms of the virus undergo medical examinations through the related country’s health authority.
- The cabin air is constantly cleaned during the flight by hospital-grade High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters. This filtration system periodically and completely refreshes the air during the flight.
- All the shuttles transferring our passengers to the aircraft are cleaned with disinfectants.
Cabin air cleaning
- HEPA filters (High Efficiency Particulate Air Filter) are a filtering system that can remove 99.97% of airborne particles (up to 0.3 microns) from the air.
- HEPA filter systems provide a high level of protection against airborne diseases by preventing the spread of bacterial and viral organisms in the air. For this reason, HEPA filters are accepted for use in hospitals.
- The HEPA filter systems we use in our aircraft filter harmful particles such as bacteria, viruses, pollen, feathers and dust, providing circulation of clean air.
- The air in the cabin is renewed every three minutes with hospital-standard HEPA filter systems in all our airplanes.
- While the air in the cabin is completely refreshed 15 to 30 times per hour, dust particles and all known bacteria and viruses in the air are filtered.
- We provide our passengers a safe, healthy and comfortable journey thanks to the hospital-standard HEPA filter systems in our aircraft, which are equipped with the most advanced technology.
Hygiene of in-flight products
- All items used during meals, such as forks, spoons, glasses and plates, are disinfected in addition to the regular washing process.
- All blankets, linens, headrest covers, bed sheets and headsets are cleaned and replaced with fresh sets for each flight. Regarding the cleaning process:
a. The headphones provided in business and economy classes during long haul flights are cleaned in accordance with the determined standards, packaged and prepared for use.
b. All blankets, pillowcases, sleeping sets, etc. served to our passengers are cleaned in professional laundries that guarantee textile hygiene.
c. Textiles are cleaned with special chlorine and allergen-free chemicals at the optimum pH levels approved by international authorities for textiles to be reused.
d. All hygienic and cleaned textiles are folded in a zero-touch process and packaged by automatic machinery.
Health measures taken at airports
- 11 Border Health Check points have been placed throughout the Istanbul Airport.
- Thermal camera practice is in place at all points throughout the Istanbul Airport.
- 100% of the oxygen is renewed via the ventilation systems throughout the Istanbul Airport.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been placed throughout the Istanbul Airport.
- Bulletins and posters are posted, and flyers are handed out to passengers throughout the Istanbul Airport to raise awareness regarding disinfection methods.
- Working closely with the Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health on the health measures taken in other airports in Turkey.